Experiment: PileUp Carousel
This is just me messing about and kicking the tires, it’s not intended to be a fully working, reusable, or customizable widget. In other words; this is not a jQuery plugin. I suppose it could be made into one fairly easily, though.
<pedantry>When the heck did these types of widgets become “sliders”? These are sliders, the others are not. The best of them don’t even slide. Calling them slideshows are a stretch even.</pedantry>
- All animation is done by CSS.
- Most visual customization is controlled via CSS.
- Uses hardware acceleration where possible (I think).
- Should work with any element, not just images.
- Works in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. It performs best in Safari, box shadows are a drag in the other browsers.
- Should degrade reasonably gracefully in other browsers, haven’t been tested there though.
- Firefox has some visual artifacts caused by rotating it seems.
- The initial animation isn’t the same across browsers, and to be honest, I’d prefer it wasn’t there at all.
- It probably doesn’t work all that great with differently sized images.