7 days on OS X
A few stray impressions, thoughts, and notes for myself regarding my first days as a Mac user. Some of these could probably be solved be reading the manual, but if OS X is intuitive I shouldn’t have to, dammit! ;)
- Where the heck is the @ symbol when using danish input?
- How do I navigate back and forward from the keyboard in System preferences (and probably elsewhere). The command + arrow keys only seem to work in Finder / Safari.
- How do I navigate the menu bar from keyboard? (Yeah, I’m not really that much of a trackpad/mouse fan – nor really a RTFM kinda guy).
- Can’t TextMate in-/outdent entire blocks of text at a time? :o/
- I had just gotten over my dropshadow phase when doing website design – I reckon I’ll be falling right back into that pit after using OS X.
- The brushed metal is a whole lot less annoying/obvious than I had feared.
- How do I open/run a document/application from the keyboard in Finder? I can navigate to it using arrow keys, but Enter just starts renaming it, not executing it. :(
- Dang, things look smooth.
- iTunes is going to cost me money…
Software I still have to try out
- Proteus – while iChat is close to the IM application I once started creating for Windows/Jabber, Proteus looks like it is exactly what I want. Adium could be a (free!) alternative.
- Some sort of backup method, not sure which to go with.
- Quicksilver – I still haven’t quite grokked what it is, but people are raving about it.
- Growl – looks interesting too.
A few articles I’ve found useful:
- Garrett Dimon: My Favorite Software
Hm, I could’ve just linked to MacZealots article archive, I guess.